Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Cocktail Recipe: The Boulevardier



The Boulevardier. Every time I order one I’m 100% sure I’m pronouncing it wrong - even my French-speaking wife just shrugs when I ask how to pronounce the name of this drink. I’ve pared it down to either a bastardized American version that sounds like I’m ordering a certain well-meaning butler from an 80’s sitcom, or I get way too French with it and sound like the type of pretentious ass who pronounces “Croissant” like I just jammed a stick in my leg. None of this matters, because most bartenders won’t know what you’re talking about anyways. C’est la vie. Still, this drink is worth the hassle, because it’s as delicious as it is boozy – very. It’s pretty much a whiskey Negroni, and if you don’t know what a Negroni is, than I envy you your sweet innocence. Some recipes measure this out to a 1-1-1 ratio, which is the wrong way to do it because it means you’re tasting less whiskey and more sweet vermouth. Less whiskey is never the answer.

- Two ounces your choice of non-crap whiskey. I prefer rye, but you do you.
- One ounce Campari.
- One ounce (or maybe a little less? I don’t like the sweets) sweet vermouth.
- Mix and shake with ice.
- Pour out straight or over a few rocks.
- Garnish with an orange-peel after rimming the glass.

0 comments:

Post a Comment